Letter 17: "Semana Santa"

Sonsonate, El Salvador
May 22, 2011

San Salvador
Lo siento for last week...the problem was that we spent all day in San Salvador and when we returned we literally didn´t have any time to write...

i got online printed off my emails and wrote president...that was it. i love getting emails from home though so please please please keep sending them, even if they are meaningless i assure you they aren't. :)

that said...

"And let me tell you why"
whew... these last two weeks have been CRAZY!!!!!!!!! our goal for the month of April was to baptize 7 people. That isn't going to happen.

And let me tell you why....because people are people and they never do what you want them to do. yes there are miracles, but even with miracles some people don´t want to see them or listen to them.

We had 5 dates for this week and all of them fell through because none of them came to church on Sunday... (however one of our new investigators came which means we have about 10 investigators with [that attended church once], you need to be there 2 times to get baptized) it's hard to explain how i feel about it at the present moment.

"I'm not discouraged"
i´m not discouraged at all, and although i have moments of weakness i am still a pretty happy person...when i first came to Sensunapan we literally had NO investigators...and now we have so many its hard to keep track of them all... i see this as progress...

In my first cambio our bishop told Hna Bermudez and i that more likely than not we are seed planters and the next sister missionaries that come are going to reap the fruit...as much as I do not like this idea it seems to be proving true....

i know that most the investigators we have right now are going to get baptized... the only question is when?....

thankfully we have one more cambio together in sensunapan to work hard and see some of the fruit of our efforts!!!!!! i´m not leaving here until at least June! woot woot!

i know there is more going on in my life that I could write about, I just can´t think of anything at the present moment. perhaps i should write a list of all the things that happen to me during the week and I will have a lot to write next week :)

"Birthdays"
Oh! we had a two investigators with birthdays! Sandra, we've been teaching for about two months, her birthday was jueves so Hna B and I made a cake (actually an hna in the ward, Nuri, who is amazingly awesome, made the cake, but we beat the frosting, so we said we helped make the cake) it was delicious and we gained a lot of confidence with her.

...then lisett´s birthday was saturday, our zone leaders (E. Beaton y E. Muñoz...awesome ZLs) made a cake....after we finished eating cake we invited her to baptism again...she said no :( ... ...

Semana Santa
OH! this last week was Semana Santa... [Holly Week or Easter Week] the catholics are intense here! it's an entire week of vacation from school.

They make "fombras" in the street.... i don't exactly know what the word for "fombra" is in English or even if there is [a word for it], but they paint pictures of Christ in the street and some use dyed sand to make images of Christ all down the street, its beautiful!


"Fombras"

Then there is a huge procession, which i didn't see, but all the guys walk around in robes of purple with white lace and staffs with a cross on top... It's pretty intimidating.


"Procession of guys walking around in robes of purple... It's pretty intimidating..."

It is definitely different. no bunnies, no eggs... wait. yeah there are eggs. The kids take egg shells and fill them with little pieces of paper [Confetti] and flour and then glue paper over the hole...


Easter eggs or Cascarones (Kas-Ka-ro-nez)

And then, they smash them on the heads of their friends...

I like it!


[So fun!]

"Homesickness
"
I did feel a little homesickness though when i thought of the greek feast...but then realized for the last three easters i´ve been at school and i felt a little better :)

life is good. the work of the Lord is moving... I've found a new favorite chapter in the Book of Mormon 3 Nephi 27...especially verses 13-22...
"13Behold I have given unto you my agospel, and this is the gospel which I have given unto you—that I came into the world to do the bwill of my Father, because my Father sent me.

14And my Father sent me that I might be alifted up upon the bcross; and after that I had been lifted up upon the ccross, that I might ddraw all men unto me, that as I have been lifted up by men even so should men be lifted up by the Father, to stand before me, to be ejudged of their works, whether they be good or whether they be evil—

15And for this cause have I been alifted up; therefore, according to the power of the Father I will draw all men unto me, that they may be judged according to their bworks.

16And it shall come to pass, that whoso arepenteth and is baptized in my bname shall be filled; and if he cendureth to the end, behold, him will I hold guiltless before my Father at that day when I shall stand to judge the world.

17And he that endureth not unto the end, the same is he that is also hewn down and cast into the fire, from whence they can no more return, because of the ajustice of the Father.

18And this is the word which he hath given unto the children of men. And for this cause he fulfilleth the words which he hath given, and he lieth not, but fulfilleth all his words.

19And ano unclean thing can enter into his kingdom; therefore nothing entereth into his brest save it be those who have cwashed their garments in my blood, because of their faith, and the repentance of all their sins, and their faithfulness unto the end.

20Now this is the commandment: aRepent, all ye ends of the earth, and come unto me and be bbaptized in my name, that ye may be csanctified by the reception of the Holy Ghost, that ye may stand dspotless before me at the last day.

21Verily, verily, I say unto you, this is my agospel; and ye know the things that ye must bdo in my church; for the works which ye have seen me do that shall ye also do; for that which ye have seen me do even that shall ye do;

22Therefore, if ye do these things blessed are ye, for ye shall be lifted up at the last day."

It really is EVERYTHING you need to do in this life in order to make it to the Celestial Kingdom...

I love the Lord, I Love the Gospel.

I love Missionary Work... if I am learning anything, I'm learning how I need to as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ for the rest of my life...

LOVE IT!

Vocabulary:
"Cambio": Change When missionaries are changed of area (transfers)

No comments:

Post a Comment